Thursday, August 11, 2011

I LIKE MARINES

A Navy Admiral Speaks about Marines

Speech by RADM J. Stark, USN, President of the Naval War

College.

The first reason I like Marines: They set high standards

for themselves and those around them, and will accept

nothing less.

I like the way Marines march.

I like the way Marines do their basic training whether it's

Quantico, San Diego, or Parris Island.

I like the idea that Marines cultivate an ethos conductive

of producing hard people in a soft age.

I like the fact that Marines stay in shape.

I like the fact that the Marines only have one boss - The

Commandant.

And I like the directness of the Commandant.

I like the fact that Marines are stubborn.

I like the way Marines obey orders.

I like the way Marines make the most of the press.

I like the wholehearted professionalism of the Marines.

It occurred to me that the services could be characterized

by different breeds of dogs.

The Air Force reminded me of a French Poodle. The poodle

always looks perfect...sometimes a bit pampered and always

travels first class. But don't ever forget that the poodle

was bred as a hunting dog and in a fight it's very

dangerous. The Army is kind of like a St. Bernard. It's big

and heavy and sometimes seems a bit clumsy. But it's very

powerful and has lots of stamina. So you want it for the

long haul. The Navy, God bless us, is a Golden Retriever.

They're good natured and great around the house. The kids

love 'em. Sometimes their hair is a bit long....they go

wandering off for long periods of time, and they love

water. Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or

Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and

mean or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack

and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and

they always go for the throat. That sounds like a Marine to

me!

So what I really like about Marines is that first to fight

isn't just a motto, it's a way of life.

From the day they were formed at Tun Tavern 200 plus years

ago, Marines have distinguished themselves on battlefields

around the world. From the fighting tops of the Bonhomme

Richard, to the sands of Barbary Coast, from the swamps of

New Orleans to the halls of Montezuma, from Belleau Wood,

to the Argonne Forest, to Guadalcanal, and Iwo Jima, and

Okinawa and Inchon, and Chosin Reservoir and Hue City and

Quang Tri and Dong Ha, and Beirut, and Grenada, and Panama,

and Somalia and Bosnia and a thousand unnamed battlefields

in godforsaken parts of the globe. Marines have

distinguished themselves by their bravery, and stubbornness

and aggressive spirit, and sacrifice, and love of country,

and loyalty to one another. They've done it for you and me,

and this country we all love so dearly.

They asked for nothing more than the honor of being a United States Marine.

That's why I like Marines!

No comments:

Post a Comment