Monday, August 23, 2010

Who wants to cut property taxes?

Who wants to cut property taxes?

Yesterday, a couple of Tea Party neighbors, came by my house to tout a pair candidates for local offices. They stressed the ills and misuse of tax money and stated their candidates would slash taxes. They were indignant that millage rate increases to compensate for the loss of taxes from plummeting property values were grossly unfair. I listened carefully to their pitches for their candidates and after they left I thought about it some more.
I recalled how last year as a result of a multitude of facts, but principally the decreased property values, we were on the verge of discharging a lot of teachers, firemen, and policemen. This was averted because of the much maligned US government stimulus package. It's obvious that a lot of the stimulus money did little, but it did save a lot of our local governmental employees. This in turn kept more money circulating in our local economy. Now—if we don't get more stimulus money and do as the tea party candidates propose—cut taxes where does that leave us.
Now I'm not an opponent of cutting taxes, but I'd like to know what these politicians have in mind. Oh! They'll talk about cutting waste but you can be assured it will mean fewer road and bridge repairs, impaired police and fire protection and heaven help us fewer teachers in the classroom. Now our education system isn't perfect, but our legislature wasn't able to totally emasculate it this year. I no longer have kids in school, but I think the schools do a pretty good job overall considering what they have to work
with.
Unfortunately, the teachers today have students whose parents have failed miserably in teaching their kids discipline, common courtesy or self-control. This isn't a case of a few students, it's nearly all of them. The teachers time is relegated to baby sitting and trying to teach the FCAT test. However, students who really want to learn can be helped by their teacher.
We also have plenty of crime and fires and I don't want our current capability diminished. So! I'm not willing to vote for anyone who wants to cut property taxes, unless they can be very specific on what will be cut. A cut in the general budget won't hack it. However, I suspect they really have no intentions of doing anything other than being elected.
There are also the courts and constitutional offices (like elections, property appraiser, tax collector). I also don't want to stand in line for 6 hours in order to renew my driver's license. However, if someone wants to get rid of that white elephant-the horse barn, I'm all for it.
In summary, I'm not going to vote for anyone proposing to cut taxes, unless that person makes it perfectly clear, what the impact will be. I like living in Melbourne the way it is now, and I don't want to lower my standard of living. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment